510 Hughes Street
Welcome to The Big House on Hughes!
What makes our house different?
It’s the place to be! Come vacation in the center of it all without the noise or traffic. Our house is located in Cape May Proper on a lesser-traveled portion of a one-way street, yet smack-dab in the middle of everything! You’ll be amazed at how tranquil the location is while being in the center of the Historic District and steps to the pristine beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. This section of Hughes Street is a one-block long, one-way cross-section located between Decatur Street and Ocean Street… a little slice of heaven on earth.
When in Cape May, it’s ALL about the porch…and what a porch it is! Ours is one of the largest and widest (700 sq feet). The front porch measures 48 ft long with a screened-in side porch that is equally as wide and measures 20 ft long. Sit back and relax to the occasional, gentle clip-clop of a passing horse and carriage. There is plenty of outdoor space for your family and friends to gather and enjoy the beautiful streetscape of the neighboring multicolored Victorian homes. Our extra-wide front porch steps provide the perfect perch for your group photos.
Say goodbye to expensive street meters and circling the neighborhood in the hopes of finding free parking spots for your extra cars! Our ONSITE parking area, located directly behind the house, is one of the most spacious for a private home in Cape May Proper. Easily park 6 cars in designated spots for quick in and out, without having to move another family member’s car. Stack park additional cars (up to a total of 10) in the driveway when needed. Once you arrive, you won’t move your car very often, if at all. Everything you need is within walking distance: beach, restaurants, shops, grocery store, parks and more.
History of the house
Our house was custom built in the early 1900s to specifically accommodate the new Reverend of the Presbyterian Church located next door. A small Victorian cottage was moved from this location in order to build this much larger home with its more open/modern floor plan, which was not the typical design used in surrounding Victorian houses of the 1800s. You’ll notice the stained glass windows, which are original to the house, bear the fleur-de-lis signifying the symbol of the Holy Trinity and fitting for the Reverend’s expansive new manse.
About the space
Maximum of 20 guests — adults and children
Second floor: 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
Third floor: 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Total bed count: 2 Kings, 5 Queens, 7 Twins, 1 Twin trundle
4200 sq ft interior space plus 700 sq ft covered porch
– Newly remodeled full kitchen with induction stovetop, commercial hood fan, convection oven, drawer microwave, deep stainless steel sink, refrigerator/freezer with icemaker/water dispenser, under counter lighting, Cambria quartz countertops
– Butler’s Pantry with extra microwave
– Separate bar area with beverage refrigerator and sink
– Counter seating for 4
– Cable TV
– Table seating for 19
– Cable TV
– Comfortable upholstered sofa and love seats
– Cable TV
– Tufted Leather Chesterfield sofas
– Expandable coffee table
– Ample storage that extends under the staircase to tuck away additional items
– Easily accessible, central location
– Versatile seating: rockers, dining table with chairs, modular wicker sectional
Screened-In Side Porch
– Comfortable upholstered sofas and oversized upholstered chair
1 King Bed, 1 Twin Bed, TV, Bathroom (shower)
1 queen bed, TV, Bathroom (tub/shower)
1 king bed, one twin bed, Bathroom (shower)
2 twin beds, TV, Bathroom (tub/shower)
1 queen bed
1 queen bed, 1 twin bed, Bathroom (shower)
1 queen bed, 1 twin daybed with 1 twin trundle
1 queen bed, 1 twin bed
Hallway Bathroom (tub/shower)
– 2 washers/ 2 dryers
– Utility Sink
– Extra refrigerator
– Storage for beach chairs (15 provided)
– Outdoor shower (hot/cold water, enclosed)
– Gas Grill
– Garage (detached/single bay for bike storage)
– Private driveway and parking for up to 10 cars
The Big House is the perfect venue for spending lazy days, any time of year, creating lifelong memories with family and friends. It’s inviting porch and comfortable gathering spaces provide a homey vibe that evokes the feeling of a much desired, simpler time.
We like to be upfront about our policies, to avoid any confusion as to what type of vacation rental you will be booking. The Big House will be “big fun” for your group, but “big parties” are not acceptable. There are neighboring B&B’s and year-round residents nearby. So, before booking, please take the time to consider what your group’s vacation plans entail to see if everyone will consider this property to be a good fit.
– The primary renter must be 30 years of age.
– Absolutely no prom, high school, college or spring break renters.
– If you have falsely represented your group, your lease is considered null/void and you will not have use of the property. No monies will be returned.
– All interior areas of this house are 100% smoke-free. Any smoke detected after your departure will result in the loss of your security deposit.
Linens and towels
As with most Cape May house rentals, tenants bring their own sheets and towels. Comforters, pillows, blankets, and mattress pads are provided.
Local linen rental service information is provided for guests who prefer to have these items delivered.
The host greets you at the property and distributes the keys.
2020 Rental Rates
Date Weekly Nightly
5/2 $5500 $1250
5/9 $5500 $1250
5/16 $5500 $1250
5/23 $5500 $1250 ($1400 Memorial Day
weekend– 3-night min)
5/30 $6000 $1250
6/6 $7500 $1300
6/13 $8500 $1300
6/20 $9500 —–
6/27 $10900 —–
7/4 $11550 —–
7/11 $11550 —–
7/18 $11550 —–
7/25 $11550 —–
8/1 $11550 —–
8/8 $11550 —–
8/15 $11550 —–
8/22 $10900 —–
8/29 $8500 $1300 ($1600 Labor Day weekend – 3
9/5 $7500 $1300
9/12 $6500 $1300
9/19 $6500 $1300
9/26 $5500 $1250
10/3 $5500 $1250
10/10 $5500 $1250
10/17 $5500 $1250
10/24 $5500 $1250
Leases are issued.
Cleaning Fee: $450.00
Refundable Security Deposit $1000.00