1045 Maryland Avenue 1045 Maryland Avenue
The Cottage on Maryland Avenue
Great location! 5 bedroom beach house (also available as 3 bedroom beach house Sept to June). Scroll down for complete details, rates, and availability calendar.
Enjoy your vacation at this delightful beach house with a great location that is convenient and quiet. Originally a 1960’s cottage, you’ll enjoy just enough of the charm, coziness, and tradition of your memories of trips to the Jersey Shore, yet with all of the modern-day conveniences. The 1st floor has been completed remodeled and the 2nd floor added.
- Ideal location! Less than 300 yards to the beach. 3 blocks to boardwalk. 4-6 blocks to historic district/shopping. You’ll be close to the beach, boardwalk, and shopping, yet on a quiet street with ample parking.
- Options! 5 bedrooms/2 ½ bathrooms for up to 10 people OR from Sept to June, you can rent just the 1st-floor cottage for couples or smaller families of 2-6 people. Either way, your family will be sleeping in beds and bedrooms– not cots, sofas, or floors like some rentals.
- Some 5 and 6 night stays! We offer select 5 and 6 night stays that are popular with people who want to avoid traffic or enjoy a day or two at home. Plus 3 night weekends in the spring and fall.
- Well maintained! Unlike most beach house rentals, we make improvements every off-season, so the house is very well maintained.
- Relax! Screened 1st-floor porch in the front, 2 decks in the back, plus a nice rear yard for kids to play.
The house is in a residential area of town with ample free parking on the street plus a parking pad. While on vacation, you can view the “picture book” at the house to see how it looked in the 60s and all of the work we put into renovations over the years. Recent improvements include new bathrooms, kitchen, windows, central air-conditioning, wireless internet, painting all of the bedrooms “beachy” colors, stainless steel appliances for the kitchen, new flooring, mattresses, and more.
The Family Room provides a great place to come together as a family, play Wii, board games or watch a movie on the wall-mounted LED TV with a DVD player and a library of movies. It has wood laminate floors and comfortable furniture. It is bright from the 9 foot sliding door leading to a screened front porch. The screened front porch is great for reading the morning paper before others rise. It has a small table plus a wicker loveseat and chair. At night you can hear the ocean waves in the distance when the wind is coming off the ocean.
“Ocean Breeze” is Bedroom 1 is in the front corner and has a new Queen mattress. It has double windows on the front and a single window on the side. There is a wonderful cross breeze and sounds of the ocean in the distance when the weather is moderate and the AC is off. Also, a full-size armoire for storage.
Palm Plantation” is Bedroom 2 and is the master bedroom in the rear left corner. Light and bright with a Sleigh bed and Queen mattress, and a wall-mounted LED TV – plus an attached half bathroom.
“Kids Hideout” is Bedroom 3 and usually where the kids sleep, as I did during the 1960s! Twin over twin bunk bed with stairs plus single bed (keep your suitcases on upper bunk if you don’t want your children to use it.) Nice big double window overlooking the big backyard plus a big armoire to hang clothes or put them in drawers.
The full bathroom has a double sink vanity, brightened by a window, and complete with a tub/shower. Next to it is a stacked washer dryer if you really want to do laundry while on vacation but most people just bring enough clothes.
The kitchen has new cabinets and a neat refurbished butcher block table that seats 8+. The adjacent dry bar seats another 2 with dry storage below. The kitchen has double windows on the side and another 9-foot slider, opening to the big back deck.
The back deck is where you’ll want to hang out before going to dinner, with its large table and umbrella. Wide stairs off the deck open up to the big backyard where the kids can play. A beach cart/wagon to tote the provided beach chairs and umbrella plus adult beach tags. When you return from the beach, you’ll enjoy a full hot and cold enclosed shower. We provide beach buckets in each room to carry your shower supplies to alfresco showering. The grill is ready for an old-fashioned cookout – perhaps while sitting back having a beer or glass of wine as the kids enjoy the private backyard for playing soccer, horseshoes, or more. Bring your bikes and chain them up to the clothes pole when you’re not exploring Cape May.
Our 5 bedroom beach house includes 2 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs plus a rear 2nd-floor deck.
“Surfcomber” is Bedroom 4 and is the corner bedroom with a Queen-size bed and windows on the side and back.
“Lighthouse Room” is Bedroom 5 – a mini-suite because it is similar to a lighthouse, being that it is at the top! Moderate in size, but cozy with its own full bathroom, Queen-size bed, and wall-mounted LED TV. It can be accessed from inside or its own separate entrance – plus it has a 2nd-floor sundeck that faces the backyard.
Direct from owner rates. Good News: Renters that rent direct from owner are exempt from taxes per updated NJ law. This saves you several hundred dollars (13.25% state/county/local tax) compared to renting on national websites that must collect taxes. Also no VRBO fees (10%) or realtor administration fees. We suggest you invest your saving in CFAR trip insurance. 5 and 6 night special are available for some stays. They allow renters to avoid heavy traffic days and have a day or two at home in addition to their vacation while saving money. This section current as of 7/19/21. Check calendar section for updated avail. 5BR house (sleeps up to 10) including the 2 bedrooms upstairs. The 3BR option is the1st floor (sleeps 2 to 6) Same house, we just lock off 2nd floor. Only available Sept to early June. You still have 3 BR, 1 1/2 BA, Kitchen, LR, screened in deck, rear deck, yard.
2021: Here is what is still available.
Aug: Was $4495/wk, we have only one opening as follows
Sun 8/29 – Fri 9/3 (5 night special) 5BR $3295 or 3BR is $2795 for the 5
Sept: Prices go down progressively even though it’s still summer and often nicest month. We have one opening as follows
Fri 9/17 – Fri 9/24 5 BR $2695 or 3 BR $2195
Oct. – available starting 10/8 5BR Rentals:
$1495/wk. Fri to Fri
$1095/ Mon-Fri midweek
$1095 Fri-Mon long weekend
$1195/wk. Fri to Fri
$875/ Mon-Fri midweek
$875 Fri-Mon long weekend
Slight surcharge for Thanksgiving week/end 5BR Rentals
$1295/wk. Fri to Fri
$995/ Mon-Fri midweek
$995 Fri-Mon long weekend
$1050/wk. Fri to Fri
$795/ Mon-Fri midweek
$895 Fri-Mon long weekend
5 BR Rentals:
$1595/wk Fri – Fri
$995/4 nights Mon-Fri
$995/ Fri-Mon long weekends
3 BR Rentals:
$795/ Fri-Mon long weekends
Fri/Sat/Sun night of Memorial Weekend is not available 5BR Rentals:
$1195/ Mon-Fri midweek
$1195 Fri-Mon long weekends
3 BR Rentals:
$895 Fri-Mon long weekends
Summer 2022 – details will be available in Sept/Oct. If you would like to be put on the wait list, send us an email message thru the Contact us section with # of people in your group and first and 2nd choice weeks.
June: $3195 – 4195
- All rates and dates subject to landlord’s mistakes/inability to look at calendar correctly.
- No pets. No smoking inside. No exceptions. Evidence of smoking or pets is cause for eviction, loss of remaining days and security deposit.
- Max of 10 people for 5 BR house; up to 6 for 3 BR house.
- For any house you rent, we suggest renters consider travel insurance since reservations cannot be refunded. Update 4/29/20 – I’m not an expert at insurance but ask your provider about different types and what they do or don’t cover – CFAR Cancel Any Reason Trip cancelation or interruption, medical, evacuation, theft, and pre-existing conditions.
- After agreeing on a stay and reviewing info on surfrentals dot com, I will email you a lease which you return regular US mail postmarked and in mail within 2 days. The amounts specified in lease (about 1/2 rent) is 1st payment with signed lease. Balance, $500 security dep, and $145 cleaning service fee ($110 when renting 3BR 1st floor) are due with 2nd payment on 3/1 for summer rentals. For rentals under $1500 or within 6 weeks of check in for other seasons, full payments is made with signing of lease. If house is left extra dirty and requires more cleaning, tenant is responsible for the service’s additional charges
- Tenant provides all linens or may arrange for them with a local linen service like geareduprentals.com or linenladies.com 90% of our renters simply bring them from home. Update – for sanitary reasons in a post Covid world, we will no longer provide pillows so be sure to bring your own. All mattresses are covered with special water proof membrane full encasement covers.